Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cake Talk

Okay, so here's the deal, I want to make my daughters first birthday cake, but I have never done anything extravagant before. I have made plain ol' cakes from a Sarah Lee box, *giggle*, so this could be interesting. I'm going to practice of course, but I only have 8 months to perfect it, and I am a perfectionist with extraordinary taste, so we will see if I can pull this off Happily!

The idea I have so far, I'm going to make chocolate cupcakes for all the guests, they will have green frosting on them with a miniature lady bug and daisy on each. Kylie's cake is going to be vanilla/chocolate swirl, all dolled up with ladybugs, daisies, and such. I want it to be Pink, Brown, and White theme. I don't know if I should make it with frosting or fondant. Fondant would look better and probably be a little easier for what I have in mind, however, its her first cake...it HAS to be messy and easy for her to dig into...so I'm leaning toward frosting. A friend of my moms (I mentioned her in my baby shower blog) bakes cakes and cookies and does an immaculate job. I love all her work, and she said that she will help me where ever I need it. She is going to send me recipes for the frosting and what not. I'm so excited and nervous though. I need supplies. I need cookie cutters for Kylie's name (its going to be pink with brown polka dots and daisies strategically placed). I don't know if I should make all the lady bugs out of chocolate with a candy mold, or if I should try to make it with frosting...again, I have never done this, so I don't know what is do able, easier, and will look good. I'm a wreck! *laughing*.

I found pictures of what I want to do, so we will see if I can come up with something. In the meantime, my little love bug just woke up, so I need to get her a bath and run a few errands. So, 'till next time.....

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/ladybug-birthday-cake.html

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/icing-a-cake.html

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gum-paste-flowers.html

2 comments:

(¯'·.¸ ♥ мяs. gяiswoℓ∂ ♥¸.·'¯)

Rolled Fondant
Our second how to make fondant recipe is the rolled fondant. Its ingredients are:

1 package .25 oz of unflavored gelatin
¼ cup cold water
½ cup of clear glucose (corn syrup)
1 tablespoon glycerin
2 tablespoons of shortening
1 teaspoon any flavoring
8 cups (2lbs.) sifted powered sugar

Mix water and gelatin and let stand for 5 minutes. Heat in microwave about 30 seconds. Add shortening and stir until melted. Pour into glycerin and glucose mixture.

Add flavoring. Pour into the powdered sugar and fold until blended. Knead the fondant until smooth and workable. When kneading and rolling fondant, be sure to use a powdered sugar work surface to keep fondant from sticking.



This type of rolled fondant is the most time consuming but it tastes great! My kids love eating it without it being on a cake.

It also makes great dough for children to play with as mine do. It tastes great and works just like edible play dough for kids. This is how to make fondant fun!




Buttercream Fondant
Our third how to make fondant recipe is the rolled butter-cream fondant. Its ingredients are:

1 cup of shortening or butter
1 cup of clear corn syrup
½ tsp fine salt
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
½ tsp any flavoring
2lbs of powdered sugar



Mix shortening, syrup and flavorings together. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time.

If you want to make a chocolate rolled butter cream fondant just add ½ cup of cocoa to sugar before mixing.

My favorite tasting fondant would be the regular rolled fondant just because it has a more buttery flavor because I use butter flavored shortening and butter flavoring.

The buttercream fondant is shinier and is used mostly for wedding cakes. The Marshmallow is easier to make. I like using all 3, but when I make your custom cake, it will be to your liking, you choose the fondant cake decorating type we will use.

(¯'·.¸ ♥ мяs. gяiswoℓ∂ ♥¸.·'¯)

Our first how to make fondant recipe is the marshmallow fondant. This is a very easy fondant to make and is our most popular.


Click To Play

Its ingredients are:


1 16oz bag of mini marshmallows
3 tablespoons of water
2 lbs. powdered sugar and optional flavoring



How to make fondant very easy, all you do is put the marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl, add the water, and put it into the microwave for 2 minutes.

Stir marshmallows making sure it’s all melted, then add your flavoring and powdered sugar to your liking. Knead dough on a powdered sugar surface and keep adding powdered sugar to make dough less sticky and more workable. There you have it!

Allow your fondant to set up overnight covered. Before you use, microwave for 30 seconds and knead until smooth and pliable.

Use fondants to help cakes come to life. Wedding cakes are not the only use for fondant. We are making fondant for birthday cakes, bridal shower cakes, baby shower cakes and others. Visit our fondant birthday cake theme pictures.

Matching the unique style, color and taste is a new adventure with each of our clients. By using fondant, we can integrate art into your cake creating that special look limited only by your imagination.

Post a Comment